Welcome to Department of Biochemistry
Professor Dr May Pyone Kyaw
M.B.,B.S., M.Med.Sc., Ph.D. (Biochemistry), Dip.Med.Ed.
Professor and Head
Department of Biochemistry
- The Institute of Pharmacy was first established in 30th January, 1992 at Thathon Street, Kamayut Township, Yangon. At that time, the responsibility in teaching Biochemistry was taken over by Department of Biochemistry, Institute of Medicine 1, Yangon.
On 7th May 2001, the Institute was moved to Waibargi, North Okkalapa and since then the Department of Biochemistry, Institute of Medicine 2, Yangon, took the responsibility in teaching Biochemistry from 2001 to 2010.
The independent Department was established in 2010.
In 2016, this Department was authorized by Department of Biochemistry, University of Medicine 2, Yangon.
- To provide effective biochemistry course to undergraduate pharmacy student who will be able to apply pharmacological biochemistry knowledge and skill in their profession.
- To produce pharmacists with sound knowledge in drug chemistry, their mechanism of cellular level and metabolism, pharmacogenomics, nutrition and environmental toxicity by encouraging the culture of scientific inquiry, leaving and critical thinking.
- To provide the foundation knowledge required for study in both the molecular and cellular aspects of modern biology
- To produce graduate who are not only equipped with the knowledge in all the modern aspects of Biochemistry, but are also aware of the particular needs of the society.
- To enhance, all-round individual development imbibing profound character, integrity and values.
- To promote an environment favorable for academic excellence.
- To enable communication and distribution of subject knowledge through a wealth of theory and practical classes