DEPARTMENT OF PHARMACOGNOSY
History of Department
- The Department of Pharmacognosy was established by U Pe Than (M. Pharm) in 1964 at Institute of Paramedical Science, Rangoon General Hospital.
- Mrs. G Augie and U MyintThein served as Head of the Department. At that time, there was only Diploma Training for which the teaching programme was based on British course.
- The Department began Bachelor course in 1992 with U Myint Thein as the first head of the Department, Institute of Pharmacy, Yangon.
- The Department began Master course in 2003 and Ph.D course in 2013.
- To produce qualified personnel who are expert in the fields of Pharmacognosy to be able to serve the country as competent academic, research, administrative, and industrial pharmacists.
At the end of the B.Pharm. course, the learner should be able to:
- identify the crude drugs as pharmacopoeia
- perform the methods of extraction, separation and isolation of the plant constituents
- describe the biochemical processes involved in the formation of primary and secondary plant metabolites
- evaluate the quality of herbal medicine.
At the end of the M.Pharm. (Pharmacognosy) course the learners should be able to
evaluate the drugs from natural sources by phytochemical and bioassay methods.
discover and develop drugs from natural sources, which are easily available in Myanmar.
find out bioactivities and new indications of drugs scientifically from natural sources, which are easily available in Myanmar.
provide students and colleagues with acquired knowledge and skills for appropriate development of therapeutic substances from plants, animals and mineral origin in Myanmar.
At the end of the Ph.D. (Pharmacognosy) course, the learners should be able to;
evaluate the drugs from natural sources by using phytochemical and different bioassay methods
develop newer drugs scientifically from natural sources, which are available in Myanmar
D.P.M.S. (Pharmacy), M.I.Pharm.
M.B.,B.S., DP & TM (Rgn.), DCMT (Lond.),MSEd (So. Calif.), Dr.Med.Sc.
D.P.M.S (Pharmacy), B.Sc., B.Pharm., M.Pharm.
D.P.M.S (Pharmacy), B.Sc, B.Pharm, M.Pharm., Ph.D. (Pharmacognosy),
- M.Pharm. (Pharmacognosy)
- Ph.D. (Pharmacognosy)